The story of our hospitals
John Addenbrooke died and left £4,500 to found a voluntary hospital in Cambridge.
Addenbrooke’s Hospital opened 13 October on Trumpington Street, with 20 beds. During the first week, 11 patients were treated. Ann Perry was the first matron. The first three physicians were Plumptre, Glynn and Collignon. The first three surgeons were Hayles, Hopkins and Thackeray Lefebvre.
Cambridge Union Workhouse built on Mill Road (later a general hospital, became Mill Road Maternity Hospital in 1948).
George Paget (1809-92): Physician to Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
George Humphry (1820-96): Surgeon to Addenbrooke’s Hospital (Paget and Humphry were instrumental in the nineteenth rise of the Cambridge Medical School).
Paget initiated clinical examinations in the final MB. A few years earlier (by 1839) AH appears to have become a recognised School of Medicine. Clinical lectures were being delivered in the Board Room. Relations between University and Hospital were informal and dealt with almost solely by the medical staff.
First general anaesthetic at Addenbrooke’s, two weeks after in was first used in the USA (performed by George M Humphry).
The hospital was enlarged and largely reconstructed, from designs drawn up by George Humphry and the architect Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt (1820-87, architect of Paddington Station in London).
1876 – 82
Alice Fisher (Nightingale nurse) – Matron of Addenbrooke’s Hospital started nurse training in Addenbrooke’s.
First ‘probationers’, or student nurses, enter Addenbrooke’s.
Hunstanton House of Recovery opened as a convalescent Home for Addenbrooke’s patients.
The hospital stared to pay Nurse Probationers.
Radiotherapy begins at Addenbrooke’s.
First woman medical student at Addenbrooke’s Hospital1919 Cambridge University established Diploma in Medical Radiology and
Electrology, first of its kind in Britain.
Mrs Douty, widow of former surgeon, funded Douty X-Ray clinic.
New block of children’s and paying wards opened1935 Preliminary Training School for Nurses opened.
Mill Road Maternity Hospital opened. Chesterton Hospital became a geriatric hospital. NHS: The United Cambridge Hospitals were to be administrated by a Board of Governors accountable to the Minister of Health. Addenbrooke’s became a Designated Teaching Hospital. The Board of Governors of the United Cambridge Hospitals responsible for Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Mill Road Maternity Hospital, Brookfields Hospital Mill Road, Chesterton Hospital, and The Home of Recovery Hunstanton.
Hills Road site purchased for £4,350.
New Addenbrooke’s Hospital landscaping started.
Stage I opened by the Queen on 28 May.
Medical Sciences Tripos introduced in 1966. First kidney transplant in Cambridge at The Douglas House Renal Unit.
Prof Roy Calne first liver transplant.
Formal completion of Stage II of Addenbrooke’s new site.
March–end of Board of Governors of United Cambridge Hospitals.
First Open Heart Surgery at Addenbrooke’s (not the world).
First students admitted to Clinical School.
Addenbrooke’s first whole body scanner opened by Prince of Wales 8 July.
Cambridge Health Authority formed.
The Rosie Maternity Unit opened in October.
Last patient moved from old Addenbrooke’s Hospital (October).
25 Feb CHA and British Airport Services Ltd signed partnership deal. Official opening by Kenneth Clarke in Feb 1989.
Addenbrooke’s NHS Trust formed.
MRC Cambridge Centre for Brain repair opened by Duke of Edinburgh (14 June).
Sanctuary Housing to refurbish and manage residences Deal signed to give a £12m facelift to doctors and nurses accommodation (May).
Addenbrooke’s Hospital becomes a Foundation Hospital as is known as- Addenbrooke’s Hospital Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
New Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU) (May). New birth unit officially opens at the Rosie Hospital (20 Jun) New nursery officially opens at Addenbrooke’s by Dr Mary Archer.
Emergency Assessment Unit opens (18 Apr). Officially opened by Prof Sir George Alberti on 29 Jun. 100th kidney transplant is a first for Addenbrooke’s. Over 100 kidney transplants in a year (10 Nov).
The Queen opened the new Cancer Research UK Cambridge Research Institute Centre (2 Feb).Opening of Addenbrooke’s Treatment Centre (ATC) (November) housing research and clinical facilities for genetics and diabetes, plus theatres and wards for short-stay and emergency surgery plus endoscopy and sterile services facilities.
Opening of the Gresham Wing in the Histopathology Department (26 February 2010) by crime writer P.D. James. Opening of the renovated Child Development Centre (4 June 2010) by Dr Mary Archer: Chairman, Cambridge University Hospitals.
Opening of the Deakin Centre (8 May 2012) by Mrs Daphne Deakin. The Deakin Centre provides a state-of-the-art environment for delivering clinical skills training and learning and development courses to the CUH workforce. Opening of the Teenage Cancer Trust Unit at Addenbrooke’s Hospital (17 December 2012) by Special Guests: Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York; Princess Eugenie, Princess of York; and Harry Judd, from pop band McFly.
The Queen opens the new Rosie Hospital (23 May 2013)
Opening of the Cambridge Haemophilia and Thrombophilia Centre (21 June 2013) by Dr William Wetherell, Clinical Fellow at St Bartholomew’s Hospital London and haemophilia patient.